Information for Property Owners and Developers

How many housing units are allowed in the North Business Park Specific Plan (NBPSP)?

The NBPSP uses the traditional measure of dwelling units per acre to control residential density, but also places a maximum cap on the total number of allowed units in each mixed-use district, as shown in the table below. Each individual property may develop to the maximum number of units allowed under the stated density, until the maximum number of units for the district is reached. Any bonus units constructed under the provisions of the Density Bonus Law are not included in the maximum density or unit caps.

Zoning DistrictMaximum DensityMaximum Unit Cap
Mixed-Use Corsa20 dwelling units per acre145 dwelling units
Mixed-Use Lindero32 dwelling units per acre462 dwelling units

> The Environmental Impact Report analyzed 728 dwelling units as the evaluated maximum buildout, assuming the maximum 607 units in the two mixed use districts combined, along with a 20 percent hypothetical density bonus.
> The stated maximum density of 35 units per acre on page 26 of the NBPSP document is a typographical error. The correct maximum density for the Mixed Use Lindero district is 32 units per acre as noted above.

Does Westlake Village have an inclusionary housing ordinance or affordable housing requirement?

No. Developers may opt to build affordable units under the provisions of the Density Bonus Law, but no affordable units or affordable housing in-lieu fee are required.

What are the allowed housing costs and corresponding household incomes for a unit to qualify as an affordable unit?

To qualify as an affordable unit, the unit must be deed restricted to lower or moderate-income households, as determined by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). The household income limits vary by county and are available on the HCD website. Rent and sale prices that correspond to each income category are calculated pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Sections 50052.5 (for owner-occupied units) and 50053 (for rental units).

What is the approval process for residential or mixed-use projects?

Generally, projects in the NBPSP are subject to City Council approval through the Planned Development Permit process. Projects are also subject to professional design review by the City's architecture consultant.

Projects in the Mixed-Use Lindero District with at least 20 percent of the units reserved for lower income households are considered ministerial "by-right" projects and do not require a Planned Development Permit.

Projects must comply with all objective design and development standards of the NBPSP and the Zoning Ordinance, except for concessions or waivers granted pursuant to the Density Bonus Law.

What is the environmental review process for residential or mixed-use projects?

The Environmental Impact Report (EIR) prepared for the NBPSP is intended to serve as the primary environmental document for future development in the plan area. The City will evaluate any proposed project to determine if it is consistent with the scope of development and impacts analyzed in the EIR. If a proposed project is outside the scope of development anticipated and analyzed in the EIR, additional environmental review will be required.

What development fees apply to development in the plan area?

Building Permit and Plan Check Fees

Building permit and plan check fee schedules

Traffic Impact Fee

The City of Westlake Village imposes a traffic impact fee of $2,878 per net new PM peak hour trip. Peak hour trip calculations are based on the most recent trip generation rates published by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE).

Traffic Signalization Fee

In addition to the above traffic impact fee, the City of Westlake Village imposes a traffic signalization fee of $7.50 per net new daily trip. Daily trip calculations are based on the trip generation rates provided in Westlake Village Municipal Code Section 7.2.010.

Specific Plan Cost Recovery Fee

The City of Westlake Village imposes a fee on new development within the specific plan area to recover the cost to the City to prepare, adopt, and administer the North Business Park Specific Plan and related Environmental Impact Report. The fees are as follows:

  • $1,480.03 per dwelling unit (not applicable to deed-restricted affordable units)
  • $1,007.35 per 1,000 square feet of new building area (prorated for portions less than 1,000 square feet)

The fees are charged to all new development in the specific plan area, except for additions to existing buildings. No credit is given for existing development on the site. Fees are subject to an annual 2% increase on July 1 of each year.

Water and Sewer Fees

For water and sewer fee information, please contact:

Las Virgenes Municipal Water District
4232 Las Virgenes Road
Calabasas, CA 91302

School Fees

For school fee information, please contact:

Las Virgenes Unified School District
4111 Las Virgenes Road
Calabasas, CA 91302